The Australian Furniture Removers Association (AFRA) describes itself both as a representative of, and regulator of, the removals industry in Australia.
It has broad geographic reach within Australia and is often cited as a mark of quality.
Key facts about the AFRA:
- Currently, around 350 furniture removal and associated companies are members of AFRA.
- The AFRA membership covers virtually every region of Australia – but not international locations.
- Auditing is something that AFRA members have to go through on a regular basis. There is an initial audit that takes place with the membership application, followed by an audit 12 months after acceptance and then after that an audit every four years. If audits reveal that members are not complying with basic requirements then there is a 21-day period in which to correct this before AFRA can take disciplinary action against its members.
- AFRA membership is diverse, from small one truck owner operated companies, to large multi-national companies with many branches both in Australia and overseas.
- AFRA has certain basic requirements that members must fulfill and these are comprehensive, relating to everything from premises to staff, vehicles, equipment and insurance.
- If complaints or claims are not resolved by members, they may be referred by the customer to AFRA.
- All AFRA members carry Public Liability Insurance and are authorised to provide Transit Insurance for all goods and effects being moved.
Australian Furniture Removers Association profile:
AFRA is an official body of removals experts that provides accreditation to members looking for a reliable sign of quality to display to consumers.
Only removers who have the right equipment, vehicles, premises and staff training to complete a professional move will receive an AFRA membership accreditation. Once the accreditation is received, the organisation continues to assess its members to ensure that standards have not slipped.
The requirements that AFRA has of its members are intended to make the removals industry a better place for consumers in terms of factors such as financial protection and good service. AFRA offers membership to Australian companies only but they may be serving customers moving within Australia or overseas.
As part of its membership benefits, AFRA offers training, information and guidance for members, as well as providing a resource on the latest news and changes affecting the industry.
Criteria for membership:
Membership criteria are not listed on the website but on the application form (which is also not available on the website). A membership package can be obtained from firstname.lastname@example.org.
Every company, before membership is granted, will be subject to an audit.
Opinions about AFRA:
AFRA is viewed as an indicator of a quality business and suggested by government websites as a way of ensuring that a mover has the right resources, standards and skills to carry out a move.
The fact that AFRA only approves those who are able to carry out a move professionally is seen as important, as well as the requirements for AFRA members to have protection such as various insurances in place.
The point is made that if a business is a member of AFRA this gives their customers the chance to access AFRA information and to have the reassurance of the disputes resolution service. Online opinion highlights that “all the major national removal companies are committed to the AFRA ideal.”
Using an AFRA member remover is one of the tips for moving provided by a major financial services company, which makes the point that Australian law doesn’t require movers to have insurance but AFRA does. It also values the fact that AFRA members will be up to date with the latest developments and held to minimum standards.
Removalists who are accredited by AFRA must meet certain standards in relation to equipment, vehicles, premises and staff training needed to complete a professional move.
AFRA is an official body of removal experts in Australia that helps regulate the removal industry. AFRA accredits only those removalists that have the necessary equipment, vehicles, premises and staff training needed to complete a professional move.