Hamburg Süd is a German shipping company which offers its customers a range of services. These are listed below together with a company profile and reviews. (Note: Maersk Line is in the process of buying the company).
International Container Shipping
- Planning by experts
- Door to door
- Intermodal services available
- Each request examines by experts
- Must comply with statutory regulations
- Certified Dangerous Goods Safety Adviser (DGSA) advises on all shipments
- Modern ships for shipping dangerous cargo
- Strict attention to stowage compliance
- Fruit, veg, flowers, plants
- Meat, fish and seafood
- Pharmaceuticals, photographic material and chemicals
- Dairy and juice
- 20′ and 40′ containers
- Unbroken cold supply chain
- Atmosphere management for harvested fruit and veg
- Multi temperature mode
- Bulb mode
- Break bulk
Other Shipping Services
- Handling all relevant import and export documentation
- Temporary storage
- Splitting larger shipments into single consignments
- Customs clearance for imports and exports
- Modern fleet
- Container ships
- Bulk carriers
- Product tankers
Used Container Sales
- Wide variety of different types of containers
- Access to used containers around the world
- High quality containers
- Experienced staff
- Local language support
- Schedules precise to the minute
- Track & Trace (container tracking)
- Booking overviews
- Recreation of bookings
- Overview of shipping instructions
- Submission of new shipping instructions
- Checking B/L drafts
- Creating standardised reports for a shipment
- Track & Trace cargo
Hamburg Süd Company Profile
Hamburg Süd was started in 1871 by representatives of eleven Hamburg merchant houses and was known as Hamburg Südamerikanische Dampfschifffahrts-Gesellschaft. By 1914 the company has 50 steam ships, all of which were destroyed during WWI.
The company started rebuilding in 1920 and starts a cruise company. By 1939, Hamburg Süd has the largest fleet in the world, a total of 52 ships.
WWII again saw the total loss of the company’s fleet. Hamburg Süd slowly resumed the cruise business and diversified into the tramp arena. They started tanker and refrigerated shipping and by 1971 had gone into container shipping.
The company is now ranked in the top ten of container shipping companies globally. It has 127 container ships with a slot capacity of over 600,000 TEU and 50 liner services. Hamburg Süd employs over 6,000 people in 250 offices worldwide.
Hamburg Süd has the following accreditations and affiliations:
- World Shipping Council (WSC)
- Clean Cargo Working Group (CCWG)
- US Environmental Protection Agency (EPA)
- Verband Deutsche Reeder (VDR)
- International Shipping Security Certificate (ISSC)
- EIPP Standards Advisory Board
Hamburg Süd Group Reviews
At the time of writing we could not find any positive or negative reviews for Hamburg Süd’s shipping services online.
- Clear contact details on website (including phone number): Yes
- Easy to get international shipping quotes? (Online estimate request form): Sort of, need to register to make a new booking.
- Clear information on website: Yes, The website clearly sets out all the services the company offers.
- Membership in international recognized shipping organizations: Yes, see above.
- List of clients and/or previous customer testimonials. No, but they do list the many awards that they’ve won.
Overall score: 4/5
Review Date: 27/04/2017
More on other international shipping companies, container shipping rates and our review process.